Friday, August 14, 2009

Armidale Air Show 1959

1959_Southern_Cross_3

Back in September 2006 in New England Australia - Aviation I spoke of Australian aviator P G Taylor.

Now in The Southern Cross comes to Armidale Paul Barrett has returned to the theme.

I won't repeat Paul's story, you should read it yourself, but I could not resist one of his photos.

This photo shows the Southern Cross, Kingsford Smith's plane, at the Armidale Airshow in (I think) 1959.

Dear this took me back. Hats are still in, while women's dresses are still in shapeless mode! I really love old photos because of the way the detail tell's us things. To see what I mean have a look at New England Airways - Postscript.

1959_Southern_Cross_2 Took me back. I actually have this vague memory of queuing to see the plane.

I said that I could not resist one of Paul's photos. Well, here's a second!

This one gives you a better view of the queue formed to see the plane. If you click on the photo you can see the school girls queued at the front.

Things like this were big time. Indeed, they still are.

One day I will write a little about air shows I have seen!

No comments: