Friday, July 17, 2009

The different textures of New England - Ulmarra

I do so love the very different textures of New England. Most people miss these because so many just drive through on the main highways. 

The Clarence River tourism people describe Ulmarra on the Clarence as one of the best preserved 19th century river ports in Australia. I think that they are right. I first visited Ulmarra when I was staying at Maclean, stops that I described inUlmarra main street Distant memories of a now vanished North Coast - Ministering to Maclean.

Today Lynne Sanders-Briathwaite has moved to Ulmarra and has been describing her experiences in her blog. So small is the town that its Wikipedia entry is but a stub. 

This photo by Lynne shows Ulmarra's mains street. Hard to believe that this quiet scene was once the location of fierce commercial rivalry as rival merchants from different places fought it out.

I haven't had time to check the details, but if my memory serves me correctly, the Edward Ogilvie that I described in Saturday Morning Musings - New England's Ogilvie dynasty was one participant in these battles. 

1 comment:

WOW Gold said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.