Photo: Inverell Saphire City Festival crowd scene
Note to Readers: This page has now been replaced by an updated page.
From Newcastle in the south to Tweed Heads in the North to Moree in the west, local festivals form a key part of New England life and should therefore be recorded and promoted.
My problem in doing so is a simple one. There are literally hundreds of such Festivals, making it very difficult for me to keep track. As a first step here, I thought that I might start by simply recording some of them. That way I have a list that I can use as a base to extend and update.
A very much first pass list follows. Dates are indicative and will be updated, new festivals added as information is obtained.
- January, Tamworth Country Music Festival, Tamworth. Australia's premier country music event.
- March, Minerama, Glen Innes. Four day mineral and gem show.
- April 5-9, East Coast International Blues and Roots Music Festival, Byron Bay
- May, Australian Celtic Festival, Glen Innes. One of Australia's largest festivals celebrating celtic culture.
- July Hats Off to Country Festival, Tamworth. Mid year country music event.
- August, Newcastle Jazz Festival, Newcastle
- 17-19 August, 18th Bellingen Jazz and Blues Festival, Bellingen
- September 7-9, Morpeth Jazz Festival, Morpeth
- October long weekend, This is Not Art, Newcastle. Australia’s premier independent arts and new media festival held in Newcastle each year over the October long weekend
- October, New England Regional Wine Show, Glen Innes. Story
- October, Saphire Festival, Inverell.
- October, Surfing the Cold Stream, Yamba. Arts fringe festival.
- October, Dorrigo Folk and Bluegrass Festival, Dorrigo
- October/November: Jacaranda City Festival, Grafton.The world-renowned Jacaranda Festival is held yearly from the last weekend in October to the first weekend in November. Inaugurated in 1935, this was the first of Australia's folk festivals and is based upon the magnificent spectacle of the hundreds of lilac-blossomed trees which grow in Grafton's broad tree lined avenues. It expresses the people's thanksgiving for the generosity with which nature blesses this part of the globe.
- November. Land Of The Beardies Festival, Glen Innes. Each spring, Glen Innes celebrates its unique Celtic heritage with its Land of the Beardies Festival, a rare and entertaining mix of Celtic culture, typical Australian pastimes and traditional events. Story
- November. Thunderbolt Country Fair & Talent Quest, Uralla. Story
- November. Tenterfield Food and Wine Fesitival, Tenterfield.